Friday, January 25, 2008

Scam

Being aware of what's wrong with me, now, has had a great impact.

I'm currently going to job interviews, looking for a new place of employment. I've dropped applications and resumes at more places than I can remember; In person and over the internet. One interview I was called back for was an insurance company that was relocating to Norman in another month or two. I knew I applied to a few insurance companies, so I scheduled an interview and got excited about it.

In the past, I would have ignored every warning sign I'm about to discuss. I would have taken everything at face value and completely trusted the person interviewing me. This is a result of my Asperger's Syndrome. Being aware that I do this, I can be more alert to this feeling.

When I went to the interview, I was told that the company found my resume online, but to bring a copy with me. I did, and it was never asked for. The "office" had two employees (both managers), and was very poorly decorated. The furniture was cheap and damaged looking. The place really looked like a fly-by-night operation. I was told the manager had just taken it over from another guy because his sales were higher. That said, he never mentioned why he had NO employees. He just said it was a start up opportunity. Throughout the interview, he did nothing but talking about how much money I could make, but by commission only. I'd also have to pay for my own licensing and training (good companies pay you for that) which could take a month or better. He wanted me to sign up for that on the spot.

Because of my new self-awareness, I asked for 24 hours to think the offer over. I now know not to make snap judgments. As I drove home, I decided that it sounded good, but to do some internet research and to talk to my friend Tyler, who'd worked as a life insurance salesman before.

My buddy said that it all sounded like the bad company he worked for that basically paid him nothing for several months, but that this one might be legit and I could take the license elsewhere if it didn't work out. Once I did some internet research, I learned that this company was currently being investigated for fraud and money laundering. They also have countless scam alerts all over different major websites like the Better Business Bureau.

Thankfully, I didn't take the job. I think I made the right choice, and I feel good about it. A little over a year ago, I'd currently be over $200 in debt working there and never make another penny back (not to count gas costs into that).

10 comments:

Malisha said...

I just want to clone you, and then shrink you and make you into earrings.
Because you're cuuuuuute.

Erica said...

How on earth is the Dali museum a tourist trap? It's the largest Dali collection in entire world.

Jade said...

Have you been there before?

Erica said...

I've been twice, once on my own and once with the dossent.

Jade said...

Are they still charging $20 or so to get in? That's what kept me away, even though I love Dali.

The high entrance fees just scream tourist trap in that state.

Jade said...

Oh, and I'm probably not being clear at all. That museum is the only thing of redemable value in Florida, as far as culture goes. That said, it's not much considering how large the state is.

Erica said...

Seems pretty par for the course...the MoMA is $20, The Guggenheim is $18, the Met is $20, and so on.

I do find it odd that you find the Dali museum the only redeemable cultural institution in Florida, though. In the St. Pete/Tampa area alone (where the Dali museum is), there's the John and Mabel Ringling museum, which has a fantastic permanent collection, not to mention that I've seen visiting collections there ranging from Roccoco to Duchamp. There are TWO opera houses in Sarasota alone (just south of St. Pete), plus Burns Court Theatre, the annual Gay and Lesbian film festival, and two performing arts centers (Van Wezel and Asolo). The Tampa performing arts center just had the Russian ballet company, and before that was Il Pagliacci. I just went to the Latino Voices exhibit at the Tampa museum which had some incredible paintings, particularly the Mexican muralists. There are a number of performing arts companies in Tampa, as well as a HUGE film community (see http://www.thetampafilmreview.com/ for one). The MOSI is the largest science museum in the southeastern U.S. Not to mention that in that area, there is an honors college (NCF), an arts college (Ringling), a huge university (USF), and more (i.e. UT, Eckerd), all of which have plenty of events and guest speakers. My husband just went to a lecture at Ringling from Spike Lee, and before that Saul Williams lectured. I've seen Cornell West and Jello Biafra speak at New College. This is just what I came up with off the top of my head; if I consulted Google I could probably find more. And this is just the area immediately surrounding the Dali museum, as you said there's still a whole state to consider, particularly the larger cities like Miami or Tallahassee.

I just hear this sort of complaint and wonder how much people are actually taking advantage of the surrounding culture before dismissing it.

Jade said...

So we've established that there is an art culture on the west coast. I know. I've been there.

My problem with the Dali museum being $20 is that it's only one artist. All the others you listed (with prices) are several.

My main gripe is that there is nothing redeeming as far as a science museum. I traveled the whole state in the 26 years I lived there. There just isn't anything there for that.

Erica said...

The MOSI *is* the largest science museum in the southeastern U.S., plus there are nearby sites like the huge Selby botanical garden and the Florida aquarium.

Don't get me wrong -- I lived in D.C. for 10 years (where all museums are free) and New York for 7 years, plus I've been to Paris, Chicago, Philly, etc., so I know what's out there and I'm not trying to claim that Florida is some kind of cultural mecca. Just saying that the notion that the only stuff that survives in Florida are tourist attractions is patently false. It's more than just an art "culture", it's a generous selection of art institution -- museums, theatres, and so forth. Orlando is an utter and complete touristy shithole, and you won't find too many museums in cowboy country, but much of the state is nothing to sneeze at. The only people I hear complain are those who don't actually take advantage of what Florida has to offer. Seek and ye shall find, and all that jazz.

Jade said...

I grew up in Orlando. When you're bombarded by that shithole every day, your whole life, everything looks like another tourist trap.