Saturday, January 12, 2008

Job Interviews


First off: when I post a blog, if I don't have a picture specifically for it, I'm going to add a funny one from my special folder. I'm not going to ever explain more than that. Just enjoy.

I've pretty much solidified a new job at the museum/college campus down the street from me. It might take a while to get in, so I'm trying to keep my options open as well.

I found out that a new pet store opened, here in town, so I went to apply there. I have several years of experience working in pet stores and have even managed one department for one. When this place learned that, they insisted that I apply. They've got managers from other stores subbing in until they can find people to work those spots. That's a good sign for me. I dropped off my resumé, but was told I had to fill out their online application from home. It had a test I needed to take.

I came home and signed on to their site. Ten minutes into the application, the site locked up. I tried it again and got the same result. Maybe it was Firefox. I tried it again in Safari and did even make it past the first page. They had a tech support number, so I called it. He told me the site was designed for Internet Explorer and wouldn't work in other browsers.

I knew Rachel's laptop had IE, even though it was still a Mac. I jumped on and started, yet again, and again got nowhere. I called tech support back and he laughed and said I should have bought a real computer with Windows on it. I hung up on him and called the pet store back. They said that my resume was not enough and I had to take the online test. That said, I could come take it in the store.

I showed back up at the pet shop at 5PM. I found the computer in question and started from scratch again. There were five positions I was applying for, but I could apply for all at once. Then, I got to the test.

Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome who has applied for a job online knows what I'm about to say. I've learned that we all dread it. It's the horrible "personality test." It asks you 200 questions about your personality that they expect you to answer honestly. Anyone with a brain lies like crazy on these just to get the job. They don't help companies at all. The problem is, with AS, I take the questions totally at face value and literally. That causes me to misread them and give the wrong answers. I hate these tests and wish they'd never been created. They have NO value for companies (I've hired people with and without them and without has always gotten me more valuable people).

The worst part is that for three of the job titles, I had to take the same test. That's 200 of those idiotic questions three times over. Then for two others, I had to take those SAME 200 QUESTIONS AGAIN plus 85 very difficult word problems (math, of course). I had to do these with no scrap paper or calculator, so they took about two minutes each. I didn't get out of that store until 8PM almost.

Why have companies moved on to this technology? Do they really think this nets them better employees? Do they think it's fair to require people to own a Windows based computer to apply, or even a computer at all? Not everyone can stand at a computer in their store for hours on end like that.

It just seemed really pointless, and I needed to vent. I feel better now, and will feel a lot better once I start at a new job.

No comments: