Friday, May 9, 2008

Coming Out

I finally told my boss, after work yesterday (aka 8AM today), that I am autistic. My main reasons are that a coworker is taking advantage of me which is easier because of my autism, and we're having a new supervisor come in, in June.

The coworker is really pushing me, right now. He pulls schemes that I'm not catching onto for weeks at a time, and telling everyone else that I've said things I haven't. Now, it's out in the open that he's doing this and he's actually on the chopping block because of it.

The new supervisor is an issue for me because it's another new person to get used to suddenly. I want him to know ahead of time that I have strange body postures and don't look people in the eyes because of autism, not that I'm dishonest or hiding things.

None of this is a problem, and my boss is happy it's out in the open. Life is easy again. God, I love having that piece of paper with an official diagnosis, now. It was really worth all the effort :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a clear cut case of harassment and discrimination. Most civilized countries have serious laws against this type of behaviour.

You need to take the time to learn how to handle these situations. There are so many ways to do it. Talk about how to handle this with 3 people you can trust, close close friends or close family (non aspies), once you learn it will help you.

Sometimes, these can't be resolved without involving humiliating the perp and making an enemy when you lodge a complaint. But, if you're affecting in some negative way by the perps behaviour, you really have no choice when other options don't work.